Friday, December 11, 2009

Fun in the forest!

The kids keep talking about "the forest" and asking to go, so during Thanksgiving week, we took them up to a nearby state park with some neat trails!







We saw lots of neat plants and trees, and picked over many walking sticks.
We also saw some pretty spiderwebs!


Then we heard a loud rumbling noise and were confused, as we had been walking steadily AWAY from the major roads. Soon, we figured out it was a train, and hurried to find the tracks to see if we could see it, as it was surely LOUD, but we did not make it in time. Nonetheless, the overpass was kind of neat!


It was just lovely there - wish we'd seen it before all the leaves fell, though!


On our way back (we estimate we walked a mile-and-a-half out, and then back again), Todd and Keeley were up ahead, and Luken and I were walking along, when I spotted this little guy!!


I called Todd back, and he said it was a baby rattlesnake! Boy am I glad I saw him, and nobody stepped on him!! That's why we stick to the path!

Shortly after that, we happened upon a Daddy Longlegs. I'm not sure if you can really make him out in this picture, but Luken liked him!


Then we made it back to the car and drove home, ready to rest!

1 comment:

Shelley said...

First, wherever you went was beautiful! I was at first thinking I would like to take that same walk... UNTIL I saw the snake... um no thanks! I guess I am 100% city girl! :)