Sunday, March 27, 2011

Milestone: First broken bone

On Superbowl Sunday, after we had been cooped up for many days because of the ice and sub-freezing temperatures, the kids and I headed to the gym so they could play while I got some exercise.

After we had been there a while, I was paged to the childcare area, which is unusual, as the kids generally enjoy playing there. When I got in there, Keeley was crying, and they told me she had fallen off of some play equipment, and seemed hurt. I wasn't sure if she was crying because she was still in pain, or if she was just upset and needing mama. We went home, and Todd and I decided to get her calmed down with a drink and a TV show, an ice pack, and some Tylenol. Then we checked her over and asked her to move her left arm, and it seemed to really hurt her. :(

So, I registered us online at a local Urgent Care, and headed over. They evaluated her and set her up with an X-Ray.

The doctor gave me the news I was dreading, but expecting - fractured collarbone.
Photobucket

Photobucket

Unfortunately, there isn't much that can be done for such an injury, so they hooked her up with a sling and sent us home. She was GREAT about it. The only difficult times were when she woke up the next 2 mornings, after her Motrin had worn off, and she was stiff from sleeping all night. She woke up crying and in pain. :(

But, during the days, she was fine. I kept her out of school that week (she only goes 2 days a week, so it wasn't a big deal) and we just took it easy at home (though it was stressful for ME at times, watching her like a hawk, terrified that she might fall down at home on the tile and worsen the injury!)

On Friday, we followed up with her pediatrician, who said she seemed to be healing just fine, and that she'd be all better by 6-8 weeks.

The big disappointment was that she was scheduled to begin new ballet classes that week, and we have had to postpone. Boo!

Here she is in her sling!
Photobucket

Photobucket

And some general silliness. :D
Photobucket

Photobucket

No comments: